Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Finding Money - Rebates

Each week our family has a set budget to spend on groceries.  One way I can help stay under budget is through rebates.  You can find rebates in the weekly coupon inserts, at Menards (one of my favorites!) or online.  Mommy Saves Big is the site I like to look at the most.  It's not updated frequently, as there are not a ton of rebates out there, but when it comes to over-the-counter medicines, Band-Aids, and Try Me Free offers on food, cleaning and make-up, I'm all over those!



The way rebates work is you usually buy the specific product that has a rebate on it, and send in the required information on the rebate form (UPC symbol, receipt, etc).  I try to calculate these products' prices into my weekly budget so I never over-spend just to get a rebate.  Then, the check will come in the mail 6-8 weeks later (long after I have forgotten about them!) and I deposit the check into our Emergency Fund or put towards one of our loans.  It's an easy way to "Find Money" and help pay down your loans!

Another way I maximize my savings in our grocery budget is by shopping at one store that price matches other local stores.  For example, Hy-Vee ad matches as well as accepts competitor coupons.  Cub Foods sends out a $5 off $50 purchase, so when I go to Hy-Vee, I'll get my groceries and if they only add up to $47 and I have a Try Me Free offer available on, say, Lysol Wipes, then I will throw in the Lysol Wipes to get me over the $50 purchase minimum so I can use the competitor coupon, and then I submit the Try Me Free offer and receive a check in 6-8 weeks.    

No comments:

Post a Comment